GET A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IN GERMANY
Sozialversicherungsnummer in Germany
The social security number / card is your proof that you are part of the German social security system. You do not automatically get this number. You must apply for it. You usually need the social security number before your first day at work. If you want to apply for your German social security number (Sozialversicherungsnummer) you must be registered in Germany. There are two ways of applying for the number. You can find out your social security number by using the application form on this page, if you have public health insurance membership in Germany. If you are privately insured, however, please read the FAQ further below for instructions on how to get your German social security number.
- Your employer needs your social security number
- You speak little or no German
- You have no idea how to get your social security number
- Fill out the form and pay 9,90€.
- Download and print the application letter.
- Post it to your German public health insurance and get the social security number within two weeks.